Recent Posts

header ads

WiHM: An Interview with Stacy Snyder



In Dead Celluloid Towers today we have Stacy Snyder. Stacy is an actor and producer with excellent short horror, Heartless, currently on the circuit.





You’re working a constant schedule – new things all the time, and that seems to be increasing for you. Do you find that life gets in the way? Are you happy working constantly?


I’m my happiest when I’m acting. I come home from set beaming, so for me it works to be busy. It’s so fulfilling to work collaboratively with other creative people. That really is my happy place. So the more, the merrier!


Recently, you’ve been working on Heartless. During the opening scene you are telling yourself to stop it. When acting to yourself in the mirror like that what challenges do you have? Is it different to playing off of someone else’s reactions?


Kevin Sluder, the writer and director of Heartless sent me the script, and the character just clicked for me. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with this opening scene. This scene especially is such a private moment for the character. There’s something we all want to see when we are watching characters, we want to see what people are like when they think no one is looking. It was an amazing moment to explore this character and show the audience her private thoughts before she has to put on a “face” to the rest of the world. It was really amazing to have the opportunity to simply allow the character to process her thoughts. When in a scene with another actor, you’re reacting to their ideas; but with just myself I had complete control over what I wanted to share about her in that moment.


Behind the scenes, the horror genre is still heavily patriarchal. How have you found working within such an environment?


Actually, with Heartless we had 50% of females working above and below the line, meaning we had women represented in all aspects of making this film. The film industry can be very male-dominated, but it’s been so great to see a push for diversity in who is creating these stories.


And on that note – the piggish-ness attitude of the – I think in the review we referred to them as dude-bro-asshats – is that something that you’ve come across behind the camera?


Ahh yes, the dude-bro-asshats. I’ve definitely encountered those types in the real world and I’ve heard stories of other filmmakers coming across them on set. I’m fortunate in that I haven’t really had to deal with that sort on while shooting and I hope it stays that way!


Is there any of Shelby in you?


There’s a little Shelby in everyone. There’s a little pushover, a little trying to succeed against all odds, a little bit of fighting back and a little bit of stepping into your power. That’s the beauty of her. We can understand her.





What challenges to find working in horror over other genres?


I find that horror can be challenging in that in regards to the general public, horror isn’t taken tremendously seriously. Some of the most creative, masterful work I’ve seen has been in the horror genre. There are so many flavors, so many stories you can tell, so many truths to be told. However, when I tell people I have a horror film I’d love them to see, many people say “Oh, I don’t like horror movies! I’m sure yours is great though!” I get it, there are many kinds of horror that aren’t for everyone. With films like Heartless though, it really transcends the fixed idea of what many people have in their head when they think of “horror films.”


Long term, do you see yourself in front of the camera, or behind it? Which begs the question, do you want to direct?


My desires have always been around storytelling through acting. There is such a thrill being able to bring life to a character. I have dabbled in producing and I think it would be a wonderful challenge to direct. I love working with other actors, but in terms of coordinating a whole crew… I’d have to ask Kevin for some tips before I dove into that world! ;)


What’s coming next for you – if you can divulge? 


Currently, I have a comedy short on the festival circuit, Consolation Prize, and a dark comedy feature film Sound of Settling that will be making its way to the festival circuit soon.

I am also developing a TV series with two other female filmmakers. This is my first large-scale writing project and it has been incredible creating and refining this world we are building together. The main character is being written with me in mind, and it’s been such an interesting process to see myself in the role but also think of this character as a writer would- to not get attached to how she is now and allow her morph as the story grows. I can’t share additional details about the project at the moment but am very excited to spread the news once I can.

Thank you for talking with us, Stacy.

Find out more here:

Post a Comment

1 Comments